Sunday, February 13, 2011

Valentines Day, Schmalentines Day

I wouldn’t have known that tomorrow was valentines day, but when I opened my facebook newsfeed Mr. Hollywood Cliche began knocking on my head. He said:
“Hey... hey are you in there? Its Valentine’s day tomorrow, and you’re a single teenager. It seems appropriate that you consider adopting some negative emotions. Even if you just fake it?... hey, I know that you’re in there... hello?... ok, I’m just going to put on some music. I think it will help. *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVyggTKDcOE*. Now, I know that you are content being single. But look at how upset James Blunt is. I mean he’s sitting in an empty hotel room without any bags or possessions. Presumably he was so upset that he booked the room just so he could be upset in it. Cant you atleast try to be a bitter single for James?”
I said “Wait... I’m 19 and I haven’t recently broken off a long term relationship. That song was barely relevant to me.”
Mr. Cliche Hollywood replied “I know sorry, I could have picked a better one. But we’re promoting it at the moment- even on amateur blogs. Um, well look at the couple frolicking on the bed throughout the video clip? Could that make you bitter? ”
And this was my answer:
“When I watch that, I don’t feel as though that is what i’m missing out on at the moment. Just look at that couple: They are visually perfect, making out in lighting that would make an optometrist cry and being serenaded by James Blunt... and that’s their relationship! Romance exists on the shoulders of a good match and some effort. That was romance without the shoulders, and in isolation of everything else, which is beautiful to watch, but its not a real-world occurence. Valentines day celebrates romance in isolation and, mr. Holly Wood Cliche, thats why i’m not bitter on Valentine’s Day, as a single person. I dont have the shoulders to know whats up there yet... all i know is that its going to be a bit complicated, but right. I’m only 19 and shoulders are things that I will find in time, and its sort of exciting while I dont have them, because you never know where you might find them, and the process of trying to find them is the best way to spend your youth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment